Important: Effective May 2019, the Express Demo is no longer available.
Please see VIPKid Application and Interview Process (Updated May 2019) for the current hiring process!
Effective February 27, 2019, all VIPKid applicants who pass the initial screening will be able to immediately complete the Express Demo Lesson instead of the traditional demo lesson.
For those of you who are new – this is GREAT NEWS!
- Shoot a three-minute video
- Send the video to VIPKid
- Email it to email@example.com as an attachment or
- Upload it to YouTube/Google Cloud/Dropbox and send the link of the video to the email above
What needs to be included in the 3-minute demo?
- A brief introduction. This should include:
- Who are you?
- What is your educational background?
- What is your teaching experience?
- When do you plan to begin teaching?
A few tips:
- Be consistent. If you applied and said you had three years of experience, be sure to talk about those three years here.
- Don’t overthink it. Consider your introduction like your “elevator speech” about yourself.
- Practice on camera a few times and play it back.
- Are you smiling? Does it sound like you are happy to be applying?
- Are you speaking clearly and enunciating?
- Did you review all the required introduction points?
My introduction would be something like this:
Hi! My name is Amelia Barker. I have a bachelor’s degree in Communication from Missouri State University, and I have three years of experience as a corporate trainer plus five years of experience volunteering with children. I am excited to get started with VIPKid and would love to start teaching right after Spring Break!
- Teaching Samples – VIPKid will send you the material you need to review, as well as tips and examples to help you prepare.
- Target Words and Target Sentence – You will want to spend 30 seconds demonstrating how to teach a word and a target sentence to an ESL learner. The current example being used is “Bicycle.” You will want to say (and have them repeat) the word two times. Then you will want to say (and have them repeat) the target sentence “I see a bicycle.” Be sure to use a slow and clear speaking voice, TPR, and props to do this. For more details, check out these helpful resources:
- ESL Concept – You will want to spend one to one and a half minutes teaching a more complex ESL concept. The current example being used is the letter “m” sound. There are different ways you can do this, but there are a few key concepts you need to remember:
- Be sure you understand the objective. Using the example slide currently in the express demo, we are not teaching the LETTER “m.” We are teaching the SOUND “mmmmm.” You need to know how to correctly pronounce the sound (mmmmmmm, not muh.)
- Think about what type of TPR can be used.
- You should, of course, use the standard TPR of touching under your mouth when you are saying a new word, letter, or sound and cupping your ear when you want the student to respond.
- There is standard TPR associated with each letter sound. “M” is rubbing in front of your tummy like you just ate something tasty.
- You can use instructional TPR to demonstrate how the student should circle the answers.
- You could use TPR when introducing the different animals on the slide.
- Think about what types of props can be used. Here, the possibilities are endless. A few ideas include:
- Stuffed animals
- Printed pictures
- Digital images
- Magnetic letters
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need special software to shoot the express demo video?
No! You can shoot the video using your computer, tablet, or smartphone. If you prefer to use software, you certainly can. VIPKid suggests trying https://webcamera.io/ or https://manycam.com, but these are not necessary.
What happens next?
Once you pass the Express Demo lesson, you will be sent information about the certification center and how to become certified for a particular level of student.
What if I don’t pass the Express Demo lesson?
If you don’t pass, you’ll be given specific feedback as to why, and you can re-apply using the two traditional methods of completing the demo lesson.
VIPKid will send you all of the information that you need to be able to prepare for, submit, and ACE this express demo. If you still have questions and would like some help as you prepare, please let me know. I would be happy to serve as your mentor through the process.