Congratulations on deciding to certify for lower level classes with VIPKid! This certification will allow you to teach Level 2 Interactive (the most popular level with VIPKid!) as well as Level 3.
You will need to prepare for two different options: A and B. You can see more about the preparation process HERE.
Part of preparing for each is to have a good reward system in place! I want to encourage you to be creative and come up with something that you love, because if you love it and are excited about it, your student (and your mock class mentor) will be too!
It’s important to note that since the reward slide is the same for both options, you could use the rewards interchangeably. I am a bit of a prop over-achiever because I think it’s SO FUN, so I wanted to provide options that are unique to both. So, in addition to the ideas for option B, you could do the following for Option A (My Toys – ball/throw.)
- Print or draw pictures of each of the toys on the shelf. Each time the student is allowed to pick a toy on the reward slide, use tape to stick the picture of that toy on the wall behind you.
- If you have kids, find toys that are similar to those in the slide. Each time the student picks a reward, show them a real toy.
- Pick out a toy that you especially like (I would use the ball, since that is a target word for this lesson.) Have pictures (or real balls) of different colors that your student gets each time they earn a reward.
- Find gifs that relate to each toy on the reward slide. When they pick an item, they get to watch a cute gif. (You can display these on your phone or on an ipad.)
- Find gifs or pictures of different sporting activities (balls, people throwing and catching balls, etc.)
- Print two pictures of each toy and write the phonics letters on each part. For example, on the two boats, you could write “z” on one and “ip” on one. When the student picks the boat, you make the boats ‘crash’ into each other and say the phonics word. “zzzz…..ip. zip.”
I will be recording a few examples of these in the next few days, and I will add that link here.
If you are a prop enthusiast like I am, you’ll be super excited right now. Not all of us are. 🙂 There are plenty of teachers who are proud to be “prop minimalists” and if that’s you, you might be thinking “What have I gotten myself into?” Rest assured that if props are not your thing, you don’t have to construct this elaborate of a reward system for every single class. If you want to, you certainly can! But while you DO need to have rewards, they can be far more simple or you can use the resources available from those of us who love to make them!
Speaking of which, if you are looking for a mentor and would like some help creating your own reward system or using one of these, I can absolutely help! Just sign up using my referral code, and I can provide links to the printed options above and a google slides reward that I put together for the gifs. You can sign up using my referral link or by adding my referral code AMELI0055 after you have applied but before your mock class. Just comment below and let me know what you are interested in, and I’ll be able to get your email from the referral portal and reach out to get you started!
I hope this was helpful, and good luck!