Let me start by saying that this was not my idea. Many teachers have used this (probably more successfully than me!) But even though I used Bitmoji regularly, it took me a little trial and error to figure out how to make my very own VIPKid emoji.
I decided to write down a quick how-to guide to help! Since not everyone has experience with Bitmoji, I’ll break it down into three sections:
- Getting the App and making your own Bitmoji
- Personalizing it for VIPKid
- Making Props
and bonus content: installing the Bitmoji keyboard
Step 1: Getting the App and Making Your Own Bitmoji
- Download the Bitmoji app on your phone. Everything in this section needs to be done on your mobile device – either through the Bitmoji app or Snapchat.
- When you first download the app, you will need to register. If you use snapchat, you can log in using Snapchat. If you would prefer, you can sign up with Email.
- Once you sign in, you’ll be prompted to create a new Bitmoji. (This is the fun part!) You’ll be prompted to choose everything about your Bitmoji from facial shape to eye color, and everything in between! Just choose each option and scroll to the next choice along the bottom of your phone app. It even lets you take a selfie so you can see your face next to your Bitmoji as you are designing it to see how close you are!
- Once you are finished, it will prompt you to go to “settings” and enable Bitmoji as a keyboard option. I suggest doing this while you are there, and I’ve put some instructions at the end. But if you are ready to start making props, you can “skip” this step and go back and do this at any time.
Step 2: Personalizing Your Bitmoji for VIPKid
- As you are personalizing your Bitmoji, there are two things you will want to choose to make it a “VIPKid” teacher.
- Headphones: These can be found under headwear, just like hats.
- An Orange Shirt: There are several to choose from. If you don’t wear orange in class, just pick out something that suits your style
- Once you’ve chosen a shirt, you can also pick out a VIPKid logo or picture to put on the shirt when you print it and use it in props. I haven’t found a way to incorporate into digital Bitmojis, so no need to look for this in the clothing.
Step 3: Making Props
- From your laptop, desktop, or other favorite prop-making machine with a Chrome browser, go to http://www.bitmoji.com.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and download “Bitmoji for Chrome”
- This will add the small, green icon into the upper right-hand corner of your Chrome browser.
- When you click on it, you can search for different Bitmojis or click through the grey icons at the bottom.
- The star shows recent Bitmojis used and popular ones.
- The hand shows hello and goodbye messages (like a wave).
- The face with hearts has messages of love.
- The smiley face shows happy messages.
- The face with no smile shows sad or angry messages.
- The horn shows holiday or event-specific messages.
- Right-mouse click on the bitmoji of your choice and choose “copy.”
- Right mouse click in a Microsoft Word or Publisher document, a Google Slides document, Powerpoint, or other prop-making software. Click “paste.”
- If you’d like to add a VIPKid or Dino logo, find a .png image and paste it onto the Bitmoji. If you don’t have one, check out VIPKid Branding Resources and you’ll find several.
Bonus Content: Installing the Bitmoji Keyboard
These instructions are for an iPhone, since this is what I own. 🙂
- Click on “Settings.”
- Click on “General.”
- Click on “Keyboard.”
- Click on “Keyboards.”
- Click on “Add New Keyboard.”
- Click on “Bitmoji.”
- Move the slider so that “Allow Full Access” is green.
Once you have the Bitmoji keyboard installed, you can toggle between it by clicking the small globe at the bottom of your iphone keypad between the “123” button and the microphone/spacebar. You can then copy and paste into text messages, emails, or even WeChat!
For other operating systems, check out Bitmoji help at their website.