This past year was my first full year with VIPKid. I started teaching in September 2018, and so the first few months were pretty slow. But in 2019, I was up and running, and so I wanted to share a few highlights and lowlights.
First, I’m a big numbers person. Most of us do this to earn money (otherwise we would just tutor for free!) So here’s the nitty gritty on what I made. Remember, I teach VERY part time. I have never taught more than five classes in a day (that’s 2.5 hours) and I very, very, very rarely ever teach on a weekend. My normal schedule is M-F from 5:30 am – 7:00 am, so 1.5 hours a day or 7.5 hours a week.
Here’s the breakdown:
- $7,572 earned
- $5,752 from classes
- $1,427 from incentives (participation incentives, finished class incentives, and new VIPKid trial class signup incentives)
- $400 from referring new teachers
This was made up from 716 total classes with 632 “as-finished MC courses.” These classes were split up among 109 different students. My top 3 students last year were just over 200 of those classes, but there are other students that I taught monthly, or perhaps just once or twice!
To further break down the class pay:
- 94% of my class pay was from MC classes (Major Course)
- 6% of my class pay was from supplemental courses
- Less than 1% of my class pay was from trials
In my first few months of teaching, I taught a lot more trial classes. I hadn’t yet had the opportunity to expand to some of the specialty, supplemental courses that are available for more tenured teachers. So over time, your income sources will vary. But the more things you are eligible to teach, the more booking potential you have!
Here’s a breakdown of monthly pay since the time I began teaching with VIPKid:
You’ll notice a big drop from January 2019 to February 2019. That was by choice. I LOVE teaching so much, so I had stretched my schedule out to 5 per day. While the money was great, I found that it was too much for me on top of working full time and maintaining my personal committments, so in February, I scaled back to three classes per day.
Here are some frequently asked questions:
- “There are already too many teachers. Will I ever get classes?” — YES! I was teacher number 37,028 on the VIPKid platform. You can see that while bookings were not immediate, I have not had any trouble getting (and staying) booked!
- “Do you have to blog, make You Tube videos, etc?” — No! I do both because I enjoy it. To me, it’s a fun hobby, and it’s an added bonus that I can help other teachers. Eventually, I hope to have more passive income from these sources, but so far, I haven’t earned anything. For example, I started running ads on my blog in July of 2019. In that first six months, I “earned” $58.27, but that has not yet been paid out yet. I don’t have enough You Tube subscribers to run ads yet. (You can always help me out by subscribing!!) Here’s one of the fun classroom makeovers I recently posted:
- “Do you make any other income related to VIPKid besides what’s listed above?” — Not yet. Again, eventually I’d love to have some other passive sources of income, but I’m still learning! I’ve begun incorporating a few affiliate links with Amazon, but they are a) only for items that I use in my classroom and b) not yet generating income.
After my first full year, I think the main questions are: Would I recommend VIPKid? Will I keep teaching with them? The answer to both is a resounding YES!
My highlights are the students … ALL THE WAY. I love them and their sweet families SO MUCH. And the extra income is amazing as well.
Really, the only lowlight was my need to cut back last February. It’s hard to say no, especially when it’s something I enjoy. But I’ve now found a balance that works well for me and my classroom.
If you have any questions, please let me know. I’d be happy to answer if I can!
And if you are just getting started or would like some help getting hired with VIPKid, please contact me! You can get started with the VIPKid application and these tips, but I would love to help you through the process!
Happy new year, and happy teaching!