The smart demo is a great way to quickly move to the next phase, but it doesn’t replace being prepared.
As you are preparing to complete the Smart Demo, there are a few things you can practice to ensure your interview is a winner!
Repeat the target word two different times.
Introduce the word, touching your chin to indicate they should watch and listen. Then, cup your ear and wait for your imaginary student to respond. Then repeat.
If you aren’t yet comfortable using TPR, now is the time to practice. You will want to use both instructional TPR and regular TPR to help convey your meanings. When you see your slide you need to teach, be thinking of different motions that you can use!
Speak slowly and allow the student time to respond.
Yes, I know there’s not really a student. But if there were, you would need to leave time for them to listen and answer. So slow down!
Demonstrate error correction.
You will want to pretend that the student made a mistake. It is important to show that you can stay positive but still correct an error.
Encourage, encourage encourage!
Stay upbeat. Acknowledge good responses (you can use thumbs up, smiles, nods, clapping, or whatever feels natural to you. Just make sure you are encouraging your student.
Make sure any props are relevant.
If you do use props in your smart demo, make sure they are relevant and help your students learn. Pay attention to what you are using, and be intentional. Things like whiteboards, magnetic letters and flash cards can all be very versatile and used in a number of ways!
The smart demo is a great way to quickly move to the next phase, but it doesn’t replace being prepared. So practice and plan, and if you have any questions, please let me know in the comments!
If you’d like to see some ideas in action, check out this video!
Thanks! And happy teaching!
Starting in late April, the new Smart Demo option will make applying for VIPKid easier than ever!
Have you thought about applying for VIPKid, but you were concerned about the long interview process? If so, I have great news!
In the next few days, the faster, easier Smart Demo Lesson will be available to make your application process easier than ever!
What is the Smart Demo Lesson?
It’s a short, 2 1/2 minute recording that’s done right from the VIPKid Teacher App on your smartphone!
(If you don’t have it yet, just search for VIPKid Teach for Mobile for iPhone or Android phones! The icon will be labelled VIPKid Teach.)
What is included in the Smart Demo Lesson?
Step 1: There will be a short review and 5 question quiz covering the basic VIPKid concepts:
- Lesson Objectives
- Speaking Speed and Language
Step 2: Record a short, 2.5 minute demo based on a lesson slide.
How do I complete the Smart Demo Lesson?
- Create a VIPKid account.
- Download the VIPKid teacher app.
- Go to “Interview” in the app (It should say “Interview Pending.”
- Review the material* and answer the 5-question (multiple choice) quiz.
- Record the demo on the app and submit.
- Wait for feedback from VIPKid.
*In the material, you’ll be able to review a brief introduction that gives you instructions. There will be an overview of each of the five key areas that will be covered in the quiz.
If this process doesn’t work for you, remember you can also check out one of the following options:
Once you pass the Smart Demo lesson, what’s next?
Once you’ve passed (yay!) you’ll then move onto the certification process. You’ll want to:
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long do I have to answer each question? – You will have 1.5 minutes to answer each question.
- What do I need to do for the demo slide? – There will be a slide provided to you (as question 6.) There will also be an example of how to teach it. You will need to spend 2.5 minutes demonstrating the slide. Be sure to:
- Be sure you allow time for a “student” to respond (pretend that you have a student. It wouldn’t hurt to “correct” them once or twice as well!)
- Don’t use extra words (incidental language.) Instead of saying “Can you say the word run?” simply say “Run” and encourage the child to repeat non-verbally.
- Make sure you introduce the word and have the student repeat three times.
- Be sure to cover the slide objectives that are listed.
- If there’s an action (like “circle” or “drag and drop”) be sure you explain and DEMONSTRATE to the student how to do the action.
- Use a prop! Once you’ve completed the application process I (or your mentor) will be happy to help you come up with a prop or props to use to help you on this slide!)
- What tips do you have for shooting a quality video?Be sure you are in a well-lit space. If possible be sure the room is bright with no distracting background and no glare.
- Make sure your phone is positioned so that your head and shoulders are fully in the frame. It will be important for them to see your body language!
- If possible, have your phone in a holder or propped up so you don’t have to hold it steady.
- Wear a solid-colored shirt. (I would wear orange, but it’s not required!)
- How do I know my results? You will get the answers to the quiz (and your score) immediately. You will get personalized feedback on your demo within 24-48 hours. If you have not heard back within 36 hours, please email email@example.com.
- How long does the whole process take? VIPKid suggests allowing 10 minutes for the full Smart Demo Lesson: 5 minutes for the quiz, 3 minutes for the demo lesson, and 2 minutes for the analysis report.
- How long do I have to complete the Smart Demo Lesson? It’s recommended to submit the video within 3 days after completing the basic information.
- What do I need to do to pass? It will be difficult to pass if you get less than 3 questions correct; however, the demo will be more heavily weighted than the quiz.
- Can I restart the video recording? Yes there will be two buttons – one to re-record and one to submit.
- If I don’t pass, can I try again? Your interviewer can allow you the opportunity to re-record in certain circumstances. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
If you have other questions, please let me know, and I’d be happy to help. If you’re ready to get started, I suggest starting by Completing the VIPKid Application. If you’re ready to apply, here’s how to register with my referral code to get extra help through the process.
Good luck, and happy teaching!